MSU Extension Corn News (Source: extension.msstate.edu)
- Corn looks good at harvest despite struggles in season – September 13, 2019
A difficult planting season followed by heavy rains and drainage issues challenged corn producers, but growers are still expected to produce a good crop despite these tough conditions.
- Continued flooding keeps farmland out of production – June 20, 2019
Although numbers on paper look about right for Mississippi row crops, the reality is actually quite grim in places.
- After delays, corn plunges into summer – May 15, 2019
Corn producers rushed to finish planting — or replanting — as much as sunny weather has allowed so far in May.
- UAS technology helps assess tornado damage – April 18, 2019
HAMILTON, Miss. — Determining the extent of tornado damage to farms in Monroe County will take weeks, but video shot from flying drones will speed up the process. Mississippi State University Extensi …
- South Delta farmers wait for flood waters to recede – April 11, 2019
Near a bridge that connects Issaquena and Sharkey counties, Waye Windham leaned toward the side of his boat and dipped a paddle down into flood water to gauge its depth. The water was too deep for the …
- Wet conditions may delay planting efforts – March 15, 2019
Recent rainfall in north Mississippi has flooded many areas and made much Delta farmland unworkable as the time approaches for planting and other traditional tasks.
- High turnout expected for Row Crop Short Course – October 29, 2018
The 2018 Mississippi State University Row Crop Short Course will feature speakers from seven states covering topics ranging from nematode management in cotton and soybeans to the potential effects of …
- Rains batter cotton, soybeans mid-harvest – October 5, 2018
Most of Mississippi’s corn and rice crops had been harvested when prolonged, late-September rains soaked much of the state, but the wet weather could not have come at a worse time for soybeans and cot …
- Corn harvest underway, not hurt by Tropical Storm Gordon – September 7, 2018
Tropical Storm Gordon interrupted harvest across Mississippi, but the storm left most of its wind along the coast and does not seem to have damaged the state’s corn crop.
- Row crop producer earns regional acclaim – July 26, 2018
Lonnie Fortner has been named the Mississippi winner of the 2018 Swisher Sweets/Sunbelt Expo Southeastern Farmer of the Year award.